Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Wayfarers on the path

Today I met another guy at the mosque . He showed up long after Isha while I was still doing zikr. 
Started hanging around , looking at the locked door . 
He finally asked me if the mosque was still open. I said no , you are late. 
He said “ Hmm” and kept looking around . I finally asked “ Can I help you with something ?” He said “ Yeah, I was going to ask them about prayer...like , can I join them , can I just go in there and pray with them ?” 
We started a long conversation, it turned out that he was American , from Seattle, he knew two of my Jewish friends here ... I wondered if he was a Jew himself . 
He told me, he had been in the Philippines and visited Mindanao, the Muslim island , and he had watched the islamic prayer there and discovered that it was something that united people from all over the world in a peaceful way.
And now he had come to the mosque still with the Mindanao dust on his boots , to pray salat himself... He asked me if that would be acceptable if he just joined the prayers , even though he is not as muslim ? 
I started to wonder if my sufi master had sent me this guy ... 
He wanted to know if it is enough if he just believes in God and prays . “ I mean, there are five pillars, right?” he said. 
I told him that people would probably  want him to believe in Mohammed the prophet as well but that that takes some time getting used to. That he shouldn’t drink alcohol before he comes. And explained to him how to do ablutions . 
He accepted all that . 
He said , he would probably see me more often from now on since he is going to join the prayers sometimes ...
I told him that I had showed up one day here too,  the same way like he did...





No comments:

Post a Comment